Sloan Music Center
The Sloan Music Center, formerly known as the Grey College Library and then the Grey College Union, underwent a major transformation and is now home to the Music Department.
Adminstrative Offices, Academic Classrooms, & Performance Venue
The center is home to our faculty, artist associates, adjunct instructors and staff and also includes teaching, rehearsal and performance spaces.
- State of the art electronic music studio
- Recording studio
- Keyboard laboratory
- Student lounge with vending areas, lounge chairs, and study tables
- 7 spacious practice rooms, fully soundproofed and equipped with pianos and stands
- Multi-functional classroom/small ensemble rehearsal space
- Studios for applied music studies
- An instrumental reherasal hall and a large choral rehearsal room/classroom equipped with a New York Steinway "D" offer students the best in ensemble rehearsal spaces
- Tyler-Tallman Hall, with a seating capacity of 180, provides an intimate performance space for student recitals, lectures, and master classes. Available on stage are 2 concert grand pianos, a New York Steinway "D," and a Hamburg Steinway "D," as well as a 1986 Richardson Kingston Double Manual Harpsichord. Davidson College is committed to becoming an all-Steinway school.
- Multi-purpose classroom
- Faculty Offices
- Departmental Assistant Office
- Seminar Room
- Music Library
- Collections of sound recordings, music scores, music reference works, DVDs and videotapes
- Individual and group multimedia stations
- Network computers
Additional Campus Venues
Duke Family Performance Hall
Located in the Knobloch Campus Center, the state of the art Duke Family Performance Hall consists of a drop-in acoustical shell and a recently purchased Steinway D Concert Grand Piano. Here the college's ensembles present choir and orchestra performances.
Carnegie Guest House
The living room of the Carnegie Guest House with its Bösendorfer Imperial Grand Piano is an intimate setting where students sometimes offer solo recitals.
Davidson College Presbyterian Church
The sanctuary of Davidson College Presbyterian Church, with its resonant acoustics, is the site of many of the choral concerts and our annual Christmas Vespers Service.