The Davidson College Jazz Ensemble is an auditioned "big band" of approximately 18 musicians. The group rehearses and performs throughout the year, with several events highlighting the schedule.
- Tuesday, Thursday - 4:30-6:15 p.m.
- Auditions for the fall take place in August during the first week of classes
- Contact Prof. Bill Lawing for more information
- For your audition:
- Prepare 1-2 contrasting pieces you feel comfortable playing. If you decide to only prepare one, it should contain both lyrical and more technical material (Priority is to choose selections that accurately reflect your ability). Not to exceed five minutes total.
- You will not be asked to play scales or arpeggios.
- On rare occasions, you may be asked to do a bit of sight-reading
- Spring Concert takes place in the Duke Family Performance Hall and features a major guest artist.
- Fall Concert occurs during Family Weekend.
- Annual Tour (week prior to the beginning of the spring semester) - see past and future tour destinations.
- The group commonly performs at events throughout the region, including Concerts on the Green in Davidson.
For questions or additional information, please contact Prof. Bill Lawing, director, Jazz Ensemble.