Every student admitted to Davidson is automatically considered for a limited number of General Scholarships. Awards can range from $500 to $15,000 annually.
The strength of your application for admission is the deciding factor in receiving these scholarships. Financial need is not considered.
No separate application form is required and you will be evaluated equally with your peers, whether you apply by early decision or regular decision.
Once academic excellence is established, General Scholarships are awarded with additional preference for the skills, interests, and experiences that add to the vitality of the Davidson experience. Examples include:
- Being the first in your family to attend college
- Having exceptional athletic and academic skills
- Being from a specific geographic region
- Evidence of deeply developed interest in certain academic areas
- Outstanding leadership skills
- Bringing diverse perspectives to campus and classroom life
- Demonstrated commitment to service
General Scholarships can be renewed each year, provided grade point average and progress toward degree requirements are met.
Examples of these prestigious awards include:
- Presidential Scholarships, offered annually to students who have demonstrated outstanding academic achievement and leadership and will contribute diverse cultural or socioeconomic perspectives to the classroom and to campus life.
- H. Boyce Connell Scholarship, established by the family and friends of the late H. Boyce Connell '65, for outstanding students from the Atlanta, Ga., area
- James B. Duke Scholarship, established by the Duke Endowment of Charlotte, N.C.
- Phillip L. Edwards Scholarship, established by Phillip L. Edwards '49 to recognize outstanding students from South Carolina.
- Vincent W. Foster, Jr., Scholarship, established by the family and friends of the late Vincent W. Foster, Jr. '67, for outstanding students from Arkansas demonstrating potential for leadership and commitment to community and public service
- John I. Smith Scholarship, established by the John I. Smith Charities in memory of former trustee, John I. Smith '24, for students who have demonstrated outstanding academic achievement, leadership, and commitment to service.
View our frequently asked questions or contact our Admission and Financial Aid Office at 800-768-0380 for more information.