Davidson College offers multiple opportunities for students to visit campus. The first Multicultural Visit Program (MVP) opportunity is October 20, 2013, in conjunction with the Discover Davidson II Open House.
Who is eligible to be a Multicultural Visit Participant (MVP)?
- The Multicultural Visit Program is designed to reach out to students from traditionally under-represented groups: African American, Asian American, Hispanic, and Native American students; and QuestBridge qualified students. Due to the brevity of the visit, international students or students living outside of the United States are not eligible for consideration. Only students that have not been on an official visit will be selected for the program.
How do I apply for the Multicultural Visit Program?
- Students interested in being considered for the visit program must complete the online application (including a brief statement explaining why you are interested in visiting Davidson), and upload your current high school transcript and standardized test scores. If you have problems with any step of the application process, please contact Tammy Forthofer (704-894-2187) for assistance.
- In preparation for the visit, you will be expected to complete a Davidson Part 1 admission application. This will help us to enhance your campus experience.
How many students attend the program?
- Davidson typically hosts between 35-45 students during its MVP weekend.
Can a parent or guardian accompany me to Davidson?
- Students selected to participate in the Discover Davidson II visit program are encouraged to invite one parent, guardian, or counselor to attend Davidson with them. Davidson College will, on behalf of you and your guest, coordinate travel arrangements to campus, local hotel lodging, and meals for the duration of the visit.
What is expected of me while I am on campus?
- While you are on campus, you are expected to participate fully in planned activities. This will include a Multicultural Dinner immediately following the Discover Davidson II program, hosted by the Office of Admission and Financial Aid, the Office of Multicultural Affairs, the Asian Cultural Awareness Association, the Black Student Coalition, and the Organization of Latin American students.
- While you are our guest, you will have significant access to our campus facilities, including your overnight residence hall. With that privilege comes the same responsibility and expectations we have of everyone in the Davidson community to uphold the Davidson College Honor Code (with which you will become familiar during your campus tour), and to exercise “the responsible use of freedom” as dictated by the College Code of Responsibility.
I am not within driving distance of Davidson. How will I get to campus?
- An Admission Staff Member will make flight arrangements for you and your guest and will notify you of your travel schedule prior to your departure.
- Participants will travel on an e-ticket and will only need to provide airport staff with the appropriate record locator number in order to check in for the flight.
- Please remember to arrive at the airport well in advance of your flight. Most airlines recommend 90 to 120 minutes prior to your scheduled departure.
How do I get to campus from the airport (and back again)?
- When you land in Charlotte, there will be a Davidson staff member greeting you at Door A in the baggage claim area. They will then direct you to the shuttle that will take you to Davidson.
- Local shuttle service will be provided for your guests to take them from the hotel to campus.
- Following the program, an airport shuttle will take you and your guest back to the airport. A specific shuttle departure time and pick-up location will be given to you in your program materials when you arrive on campus.
What do I do if I’m driving to campus?
- Students driving to campus will be reimbursed for mileage to and from campus and their home address as provided on the application form. General directions will be provided in advance of the event and directional signs will be visible at various locations on campus. Reimbursement checks will be distributed prior to the student’s departure from campus.
What should I bring with me for my visit?
- We strongly encourage you to pack lightly and avoid checking in bags at the airport to avoid any delays and to avoid the $20-$25 airline fee (for which you will be responsible, if necessary). Also, do not pack any liquids in containers exceeding 3 oz.
- You will be spending the night (Sunday) in a residence hall with a student host. You may sleep in a bed, on a futon, or perhaps on an air mattress. If you are driving to Davidson, please bring a sleeping bag/blanket and a small pillow. If you are flying or don’t have access to a sleeping bag, don’t worry. We’ll do our best take care of you! No matter how you are traveling, be sure to bring a bath towel and a washcloth.
- While we will provide with you meals and accommodations during your visit, we do ask that you bring a small amount of extra spending money for snacks, souvenirs, or anything else you may want to purchase on campus.
What should I wear during my visit?
- Weather in North Carolina can be unpredictable. Please be sure to check the forecast to know what clothing to pack.
- Sunday will be a long day. You’ll want to be sure to wear comfortable clothing, especially walking shoes. The campus tour is typically a 1.5-mile walk so you’ll want to plan accordingly.
- Davidson is a casual campus. Students wear shorts, jeans, khakis, etc. in the residence halls and to class. We ask that you use common sense in what you pack, but (above all) we want you to be comfortable.
Where will my guest and I stay during our visit?
- Students and accompanying guests will spend the first night of the visit in a local hotel. We will arrange for an on-campus, overnight host for students the following night, and accompanying guests will return to the hotel.
- Students must bring their luggage with them to campus the morning of the program to be stored for the day in a secure location. Overnight host matching will take place immediately following the conclusion of the Discover Davidson program.
What can I expect of my overnight host?
- Your overnight host has graciously offered to provide you with overnight accommodations during your visit and is happy to assist you during your stay. Please keep in mind, however, that they are a student first and foremost and may have a limited amount of time to spend with you. We encourage you to connect with other students participating in the Multicultural Visit Program or the Discover Davidson program, or with other current students you may meet during your stay. Admission staff will be readily available during most of your visit to help you get the most out of your time on campus.
Are meals provided during my visit?
- The Office of Admission and Financial Aid will provide most meals as part of its Discover Davidson program. For those times when students are on campus, on their own (with their overnight host, going to class, etc.), we will issue a CatCard that will cover the cost of meals in Vail Commons or at the Davis Café.
How much will it cost me to participate in the visit program?
- Davidson College pays all of the direct costs associated with the visit. Students will be responsible for transportation to and from their home and their preferred airport, and meals purchased at the airport (if applicable). We encourage students to bring a small amount of spending money to cover extra snacks or the purchase of souvenirs, but it is not required.
What if I am unable to attend and my airline ticket has already been purchased?
- Participants, parents or guardians, and guidance counselors are required to sign a statement of financial responsibility prior to travel arrangements being made. If a student is not able to participate in the program after airline tickets have been purchased, it will be the student’s responsibility to reimburse the college the cost of the ticket.
Who do I contact in case of emergency while I am on campus?
- If you are in need of immediate assistance en route to campus for your visit or at any point during your stay, please contact Tammy Forthofer at (704-894-2187 or 704-310-1238). We encourage students to leave this number with someone at home, in case of emergency.
If I’m not a selected MVP student in conjunction with Discover Davidson II, are there other opportunities for a multicultural visit to Davidson College?
- There are multiple opportunities to come to campus throughout the admission process. Those students who have not been on an official campus visit and are not selected for the fall program will still be eligible for later visits. The Winter MVP visit is scheduled for mid-February and participants will be selected from Admission Counselor nominations. The final visit opportunity is in the spring, in conjunction with our Decision Davidson programs for admitted students. As with the winter visit opportunity, students will be chosen from Admission Counselor nominations.