Common Reading Book
Davidson College is devoted to the life of the mind and the development of the whole person. We believe that one of the best ways to begin your journey here is to read a common book, discuss it during Orientation, and apply what you learn to
your life at Davidson. Please plan to read the book before the start of Orientation, and come prepared to discuss the book with your peers.
This year's common book selection is: Color and Character by Pamela Grundy. All incoming students will receive a copy of the book via mail by mid-June.
Past common reading selections include the following.
- 2017: Good Kings Bad Kings
- 2016: Between The World and Me
- 2014: The Other Wes Moore
- 2013: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
- 2012: Vietnamerica: A Family's Journey
- 2011: In the Sanctuary of Outcasts
- 2010: Here, Bullet
- 2009: Old School
2008: Ecology of a Cracker Childhood
- 2007: The Reluctant Fundamentalist
- 2006: The Dignity of Difference
- 2005: The Kite Runner
- 2004: Two Souls Indivisible
2003: A Hope in the Unseen
2002: Nickel and Dimed
- 2001: On the Uses of a Liberal Education (essay)
2000: All Over but the Shoutin'
- 1999: A Gracious Plenty
- 1998: Snow Falling on Cedars
- 1997: My Own Country
- 1996: Life on the Color Line
- 1995: Kindred
- 1994: Fiela's Child
- 1993: Waiting for the Barbarians