We are so pleased that you will be joining us and look forward to personally welcoming you to campus in August. We understand that you will have many questions about coming to Davidson and we are here to help! Please don't hesitate to email our International Student Advisor, Bea Cornett, at email@example.com with any concerns you would like to discuss. We have many resources to assist you as you make your preparations for joining the Davidson community. Please visit our website periodically for updates and details specifically for new students.
The International Student Office coordinates a pre-orientation program designed to meet the unique needs of incoming international students. If you are a U.S./dual citizen living outside of the United States, or a non-U.S. citizen, you are invited to participate in the pre-orientation. The Fall 2017 international pre-orientation will be Sunday, Aug. 13 - Wednesday, Aug. 16, and you are able to move into your residence hall Saturday or Sunday.
During orientation, you can:
- Meet and get to know the staff of the International Student Office, as well as a group of enthusiastic and energetic returning Davidson student volunteers
- Receive information about U.S. visas and how to stay in legal immigration status
- Learn more about the U.S. educational system
- Discuss ideas about and journeys through cultural adjustment
- Take care of practical matters, such as opening a bank account, purchasing a cell phone, applying for a Social Security Number, etc.
International Parent & Family Pre-Orientation
International Parent & Family Pre-Orientation is designed to empower parents and family members with information to support students through their transition to college. Parents, siblings, and other family members are invited to participate in the program, which takes place Aug. 13- 17. Meals are provided for parents and family members who participate, but housing is not. Please contact Bea Cornett at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
As you prepare to come to Davidson, below are some things to consider.
Admission and Financial Aid
- Have your final transcript sent to Davidson by July 15
- Return your Financial Aid agreement (with work-study employment preferences) if applicable
Apply for a U.S. Visa (if applicable)
- Review your Certificate of Eligibility to ensure the information is correct
- Apply for your student visa at the nearest U.S. Embassy
- Watch for correspondence from the Residence Life Office in May–they will invite you to submit your housing preferences and results from your personality inventory online
- Residence Life will then assign you to a room (and to a roommate) on campus in July
Make Travel Arrangements
- Plan to arrive in Davidson by Sunday afternoon, Aug. 13, when International Pre-Orientation begins
- Send your travel itinerary to the International Student Office for arrival assistance
- Make temporary housing arrangements if you will arrive before Saturday, Aug. 12, when your room opens
Register for Classes
- Watch for correspondence from the Registrar's Office in late May. They will email you important information (including your student ID number) on how to register for classes
- Your online registration must be completed by June 30
Sign Up for a Host Family
- Your bill for the fall semester will be emailed to your Davidson email account in mid-July
- Payment in full is due by Saturday, Aug. 1, unless you are opting for the monthly payment plan
Contact the Dean of Students
- Return the Dean's Form and Student Information Sheet to the Dean of Students' Office
- Read the common book for orientation (and the study guide)
Obtain Your Immunization Records
- Return your medical history and physical exam form to the Student Health Center by July 15
Consider Health Insurance
- Review the Davidson policy (which you are automatically enrolled in).
- If you already have U.S. insurance coverage, instructions for waiving the Davidson insurance can be found on your tuition bill
- If you are an athlete (in a fall sport), talk to your coach now about insurance