Advice for Students
When you are emailing faculty, staff, or even other students, you should follow some basic guidelines so that your email communication makes a positive impact. We have included some suggestions below
- Use only your Davidson email account to correspond with your professors-or any employee of the college. A student with an email account like Quirkygirlie476@aol.com might not realize how unprofessional that looks if she is applying for a Dean Rusk grant!
- Be courteous and respectful. That's common sense, right? Fill in the subject line, DO NOT SHOUT, and begin your message with a respectful salutation like "Dear Prof. Soandso."
- Quickly get to the point. Be specific and present what you have to say in a cohesive manner and in good English.
- At Davidson, you'll get a prompt reply amazingly often, but don't expect it. Always allow at least one business day for a response.
- Always be the one to conclude the correspondence.