Transfer Credit

Davidson College accepts transfer credit using the following guidelines.

  • The college or university must be accredited for a "liberal arts and general program." Most are.
  • Courses from a two-year college are not acceptable after completion of sophomore year. NOTE: for purposes of this regulation, the criterion is that for credits to be transferable after the conclusion of the sophomore year, the institution from which they are presented must be accredited for "liberal arts and general" and must offer B.A. and/or B.S. degrees in several liberal arts (not vocational) subjects.
  • Foreign universities are usually acceptable. Non-university foreign-study agencies usually are not.
  • Online and correspondence courses are not acceptable, whatever the college or university.

Authority for approving transfer credit rests with the Registrar, who also may determine whether a course satisfies a non-major graduation requirement. Authority for determining whether a transfer credit will count toward a major, a minor, or an interdisciplinary minor rests with the appropriate chair.

The course must be of the sort offered in a liberal arts curriculum such as Davidson's. It does not have to match in subject or even department a Davidson course. If there is no matching Davidson department, the course will transfer as UNS (Unspecified), but such courses may count toward distribution requirements.

The course must be completed with a grade of C-minus or better. "Pass" grades (or similar) are accepted only if the transcript indicates that the grade represents work of C-minus or better. The Davidson transcript shows a grade of:

  • Davidson faculty taught courses = Letter Grades or P grades
  • Non-Davidson faculty taught courses on Davidson programs = P grades
  • Non-Davidson faculty taught courses on non-Davidson programs = UG grades.

Transfer credits and grades do not affect Davidson GPA and do not count toward the limit of P/F.

We do not transfer more than four courses in a semester or two in a summer, though in a few special cases approved in advance, three in a summer may be permissible. In general: 3-5 semester hours yields one Davidson credit; 6-9 yields two; 10-13 yields three.

If you are a current student and planning to study abroad or take summer classes at another school, complete the Authorization to Transfer Credit form. The courses will be evaluated and you will be notified of which courses will transfer back to Davidson.

The student should make these arrangements immediately upon completion of the program to have transcripts sent directly to:

Registrar's Office
Davidson College Box 7154
Davidson, NC 28035-7154