Friends of the Arts is committed to increasing opportunities in our community for all to enjoy the visual, performing, and literary arts.
The generosity of our members enables us to:
- Create programs, and collaborate with faculty in the visual, performing and literary arts to ensure strong and vibrant arts offerings at Davidson College
- Provide funding to the visual art, theatre, music and literary arts departments
- Support groundbreaking innovative programs, including the Hip Hop Scholars Series with the English Department, and the Cuban Symposium with the Theatre Department
- Sponsor an outreach program at the Ada Jenkins LEARNWorks afterschool program. Friends of the Arts student interns work in partnership with Bonnor Scholars and the LEARNWorks staff to develop arts-related programming that highlight student arts organizations and artists who come to campus
- Collaborate with the Town of Davidson to support programs that include April is for Arts, Gallery Crawl, Art on the Green, and the Public Art Commission.
Past Outreach Events
- Violinist and composer Daniel Bernard Roumain teaches master classes at Northwest School of the Arts and Ada Jenkins
- Laurelyn Dossett held a songwriters workshop with students of all ages at the local Birdsnest Music Studio
- Diavolo Dance Company performs at Davidson Elementary School
- Six student arts organizations hold master classes at Ada Jenkins LEARNWorks program
- LEARNWorks Childrens Gallery Exhibition in the Alvarez College Union
Collaboration with Charlotte Arts
Friends of the Arts collaborates with Charlotte arts presenters to enrich arts opportunities for our members and to support collaborations among our faculty and arts organizations.
- Romare Bearden 100th Birthday celebration collaboration with the Mint Museum of Art
- Highly acclaimed musical Jersey Boys with the North Carolina Blumenthal Performing Arts Center
- New South for the New Southerner with the Levine Museum of the New South and Our Town Cinemas of Davidson with movie and arts critic Lawrence Toppman of the Charlotte Observer.
- Herb Jackson's exhibition Veronica's Veils–A Retrospective Friends of the Arts reception with the McColl Center for Visual Arts
- Side-by-side performances with the Charlotte Symphony and Davidson College Symphony Orchestra.
For more information, please email Sherry Malushizky, director of Davidson Arts and Creative Engagement, at email@example.com or call 704-894-2101.